Find a suitable Mentor for yourself, understand the tips to find one!
We all have somebody as a Mentor in our life. That person is certainly more experienced than us and guides us at every step of our life. Our Mentor is usually more skilled and has more experience in the same line which we wish to pursue in our life. They instruct us about the right directions we should be taking to achieve success. Selecting a Mentor for you is not a complex process but it shouldn’t be a decision that is to be taken in a hurry.
HERE ARE SOME TIPS TO HELP YOU CHOOSE YOU’RE MENTOR
- What is the first requirement to build a good relationship? It is a strong communication bond.
- The person who you look up to as your Mentor should be able to communicate with you properly; in fact, you both should have a bond where you could talk without any hesitation.
- Communication gap leads to misunderstandings, which you cannot afford with your Mentor.
- You need to establish a relationship where you could openly tell them about your highs and lows so that they can work on you accordingly.
- This is very important for your Mentor to understand you as a person and help you climb your stairs to achieve your goal in life.
2. ARE THEY WILLING TO HELP YOU?
- If somebody has found success in life doesn’t mean they want to share their journey with you.
- It is very important to understand whether your Mentor is ready to guide you or not.
- You should spend more time with them and understand whether they are willing to talk about their journey, about their strengths and weakness or not.
- They should also be listening to your struggles, about your current journey, about your motivations, and what holds you back.
3. CLEAR YOUR INTENTIONS
- After spending time with them, when you finally know they are willing to share their information with you, make your intentions clear to them.
- Do not come out to them very soon, take your time, understand them, their journey, their hurdles, and when you completely trust that person say it out.
- Tell them how you want to be mentored by them, bring it to their notice that you would require their time and energy.
- Kindly request them to help you in your journey and wait for their approval.
- Your Mentor needs to agree.
4. THEY SHOULD BRING CHALLENGES TO YOU
- How do you see yourself growing?
- This happens when you face a different situation, encounter new experiences in life.
- It broadens your perspective about life, you learn to deal with a lot of things, and you will know how to handle people.
- Your mentor should bring new challenges to you, let you commit mistakes, and help you learn from them.
- They should give you the strength to face the worse of the situations and even fail in them but eventually end up learning something.
- Your mentor should not impose their life struggles and journeys on you but they should let you explore yours and learn from them.
5. YOUR MENTOR SHOULD BE A GOOD LISTENER
- Mentors are like guides in our life
- They haven’t always experienced the same paths that you have taken, and they shouldn’t spoon-feed answers to you even if they have.
- They should allow you to control your own journey but they have the full authority to guide you on every step.
- Instead, they need to help men-tees overcome their challenges without taking the reins directly.
- This comes back full-circle to empathy and communication skills – in the form of listening.
- Your Mentors should have the ability to listen to your opinions, letting you decide what to do, and hearing your perspective about things.
- We all have somebody as a Mentor in our life.
- That person is certainly more experienced than us and guides us at every step of our life.
- Our Mentor is usually more skilled and has more experience in the same line which we wish to pursue in our life.
- Selecting a Mentor for you is not a complex process but it shouldn’t be a decision that is to be taken in a hurry
SOME TIPS ABOUT MENTORS
- YOU SHOULD HAVE A GOOD COMMUNICATION BOND
- THEY SHOULD BE GOOD LISTENERS
- THEY SHOULD SHARE THEIR INFORMATION WITH YOU
- MAKE YOUR INTENTIONS CLEAR TO THEM
- THEY SHOULD LET YOU FACE TOUGH CHALLENGES.